I apologise that it’s been slow since the last update. I’m sure you’re aware that a lot’s happened in that time, not least of all the US election. A lot of my US friends have been in need of support, and both Vahn and Crimson have been doing the same. This won’t be a political discussion thread, I’m just letting you know what’s up. Besides that, every year about this time I suffer from seasonal adjustment disorder. Got my sunlamp (although caffeine isn’t an option) which should help. Thankfully I don’t suffer from the depression that usually comes with it, I just get to spend the next few weeks feeling as though I haven’t slept. It’s a pain, but nothing new. Usually I don’t like to mention such things, but I’d like to keep these updates in the spirit of full disclosure. Anyway, update stuff:
First off, we hope everyone had a great Halloween. I spent the majority of mine writing something filthy and slightly Halloween-inspired, more about that further down.
The new GUI is coming along and looking good, already closely resembling the new mockups. The next step will be to focus on the back end in order to have the new pretty buttons perform the new moves, and have the battle change state correctly depending on if it’s waiting for input or ‘playing’ the enemy’s turn, displaying the new continue button respectively. It serves as kind of a stand in for animations, and the new position and automatic timer should be a big improvement over the current design.
In July 2014, I posted an update on my FA page announcing I was going to make a game. Whenever I could spare the time between commissions, I’d be watching YouTube tutorials and reading up on how to write in C# and make a game in Unity. I’d never programmed anything before then, so there was a lot to learn. I managed to create the base Parser system and it’s brother, the Dictator system, as well as a mostly-functional UI. (The Parser is the thing that takes tags in text and replaces them with the right words and adjectives). There was also an in-game clock, some locations to move around and other bits and bobs. It all worked and was pretty slick, I thought. (more…)