homestead

August Update

Hey guys,

Past couple weeks I got stuck on trying to figure out how to get amenity inputs working, as well as the tricky custom interface it would need. I think I’ve managed to rethink it not only for ease of implementation but ease of use. Instead of just selecting an input material, it now displays a list of possible recipes and their outputs. I’m ensuring that you’ll be able to tell a place to work on a recipe even if you don’t have the requisite resources yet, it’ll produce a subtle warning that there’s something up but it won’t stop you from doing it. This is to prevent facilities automatically shutting down and forgetting what they were set to if you should run out at a later date, as well as making it easier to set up multiple facilities at once. I don’t intend for production chains to be very complex, but I think it’d be neat to grow your own crops, distill it yourself, then prepare it into various drinks at a bar, for instance.

Also, since I like to be transparent as possible, and not because I expect or desire, in the least, pity or sympathy, I didn’t get far these past two weeks on account of having pretty bad pain days. It flares up on occasion and like it or not, it slows me down. It seems to be improving as of today, though.

I think I’ve gotten a handle on how to proceed, so with some luck I’ll have better progress to report next time.

Mid-July Update

Hey guys,

I’ll start off with what I’ve been working on, and save any rambling for after. Hopefully with Homestead going I’ll be able to introduce a new format of actual progress then follow with words.

  • Organised and renamed about a hundred GUI nodes.
  • Split up the Facility Browser script into three smaller scripts to avoid overburdening it. This was a smarter choice than I intially realised, as I’ll soon be adding a third tab to the window and possibly a sub-tabbed view to one of those. Each of these scripts are much tidier.
  • Renamed all instances of the rather clinical ‘Facility Modules’ to ‘Amenities’ instead.
  • Created a functioning Card Lister class script to handle all instances of ordered lists of GUI elements, e.g facilities, staff, amenities. This was an issue I ran into during my practice project, needing to make a new series of functions to populate and present ‘cards’ – graphic items on a list – every time I needed one. This has been simplified greatly and standardised for use anywhere I need it with just a couple lines of code, as opposed to about 70.
  • Also programmed the Card Lister script to be able to hook up signals from buttons on those cards to their parent tab’s controlling tabcontainer. Generated cards now have functioning buttons that automatically know what to do when clicked.
  • Created a P_Resource class and a loader function which loads a directory of resources at startup, creating a new instance of P_Resource for each one. Things like wood, seeds, raw food, so on. Plan later to make the loader script work from a JSON so it’s possible to edit client-side.

Not listed but also important things, I set up a private git repo for homestead (thank you Goldie for that advice). I wasn’t clear on the benefits of solo development using one but I am now, so I have one. I also have my own Trello I’m using to keep track of what goes where and the order in which to do things, and in a profound bit of novelty, things that are completed.

I wanted to get more done but had a run of bad pain days. They’re easing off so I’ll be back to it tomorrow. Next steps are to create a more detailed browser of a facility’s amenities. Once that’s done I’ll flesh out amenities a little more, create a display for resources, and see if I can get amenities to accept a resource as an input. A herb garden accepting thyme seeds, for instance. Then it’ll be to build the week end system to calculate changes and start advancing time. I have a couple ideas of the scripts I’ll need to do that, so we’ll see what works.

July Update

Hey guys,

I hope everyone is keeping okay. I said last time I’d be talking about something new this week, there’s a lot to cover so I’ll get right to it. My main goal since late last year has been to make a real effort to learn programming so that I can contribute more than design and direction to Carnal Souls. I think I’ve made some good progress. In fact, the things I’ve been able to put together in practice projects have worked well enough that I think with some more study and exercises I could make something functional. Not pretty, but functional.

My idea is this: On my own, make some small, Carnal Souls spinoff type game. Secondary in all priorities to CS itself, which comes first. By doing so I can continue to learn to program and, Gods willing, give you guys something to play. Let me say very clearly that this won’t replace CS. It’s just something I want to make that will give me a goal to work towards in my study and also serve to have some sort of game you guys can play. I’m aware it isn’t what people paid for, it’s not supposed to be, but I figure some game is better than no game. And if people do like it, maybe it’s a way we can gather more support for the full project.

(more…)