Mid-July Update

Hey guys,

I’ll start off with what I’ve been working on, and save any rambling for after. Hopefully with Homestead going I’ll be able to introduce a new format of actual progress then follow with words.

  • Organised and renamed about a hundred GUI nodes.
  • Split up the Facility Browser script into three smaller scripts to avoid overburdening it. This was a smarter choice than I intially realised, as I’ll soon be adding a third tab to the window and possibly a sub-tabbed view to one of those. Each of these scripts are much tidier.
  • Renamed all instances of the rather clinical ‘Facility Modules’ to ‘Amenities’ instead.
  • Created a functioning Card Lister class script to handle all instances of ordered lists of GUI elements, e.g facilities, staff, amenities. This was an issue I ran into during my practice project, needing to make a new series of functions to populate and present ‘cards’ – graphic items on a list – every time I needed one. This has been simplified greatly and standardised for use anywhere I need it with just a couple lines of code, as opposed to about 70.
  • Also programmed the Card Lister script to be able to hook up signals from buttons on those cards to their parent tab’s controlling tabcontainer. Generated cards now have functioning buttons that automatically know what to do when clicked.
  • Created a P_Resource class and a loader function which loads a directory of resources at startup, creating a new instance of P_Resource for each one. Things like wood, seeds, raw food, so on. Plan later to make the loader script work from a JSON so it’s possible to edit client-side.

Not listed but also important things, I set up a private git repo for homestead (thank you Goldie for that advice). I wasn’t clear on the benefits of solo development using one but I am now, so I have one. I also have my own Trello I’m using to keep track of what goes where and the order in which to do things, and in a profound bit of novelty, things that are completed.

I wanted to get more done but had a run of bad pain days. They’re easing off so I’ll be back to it tomorrow. Next steps are to create a more detailed browser of a facility’s amenities. Once that’s done I’ll flesh out amenities a little more, create a display for resources, and see if I can get amenities to accept a resource as an input. A herb garden accepting thyme seeds, for instance. Then it’ll be to build the week end system to calculate changes and start advancing time. I have a couple ideas of the scripts I’ll need to do that, so we’ll see what works.

One Response to “Mid-July Update”

  1. Goonie says:

    That’s some fantastic stuff to hear, I’m glad that you’re able to do this to keep yourself busy, hone your coding, and give us something all at once! Great work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.