Aug, 2020

Mid-August Update

Hey guys,

Progress notes:

  • A facility’s amenity list is now functional. Did some code cleanup with this, too.
  • The basics of NPC generation are working, now using externally-read JSONs as recipes. This should mean that users can tweak these settings as they like, if they desire to change how NPC’s are generated. A JSON file is essentially just a text file with formatting, so you won’t need any additional software to do so.
  • Did some reading on game saving techniques. Had to refactor a bit of how characters were built in-game, but the game now outputs a working save file containing all character data and their attached parts (like horns, breasts, etc.).
  • Similarly also managed to get it to load that data properly, avoiding object duplication and other weirdness, and attaches parts where they should be with the correct data on them. This isn’t too complex right now, but now that I have the basic idea it’ll mean I can build new systems with it in mind.
  • Spent a lot of time doing conceptual work and experimenting with stats and skills before I implement them onto NPC’s. I have big ideas for things to implement later, and getting this part right means the groundwork is there ready to expand upon.

My prototyped NPC generation script was roughly 500 lines and worked fairly well, able to produce 100 generated NPC’s on a click with only a little delay. My next task is to rewrite that, which shouldn’t be a difficult job, just a big one. The main goal of it is to be able to create random NPC’s but ones that are sanely put together. More ‘give me a blonde woman in her late twenties who’s got experience handling horses’ and not like hitting the random button in any character creation.

Once characters are being generated more completely, I can work on making them hireable and continue to flesh out facilities and how they work. I had to pause them for the time being since a lot of what they do is so dependent on the people working there, especially their skills.

Until next time!

August Update

Hey guys,

Past couple weeks I got stuck on trying to figure out how to get amenity inputs working, as well as the tricky custom interface it would need. I think I’ve managed to rethink it not only for ease of implementation but ease of use. Instead of just selecting an input material, it now displays a list of possible recipes and their outputs. I’m ensuring that you’ll be able to tell a place to work on a recipe even if you don’t have the requisite resources yet, it’ll produce a subtle warning that there’s something up but it won’t stop you from doing it. This is to prevent facilities automatically shutting down and forgetting what they were set to if you should run out at a later date, as well as making it easier to set up multiple facilities at once. I don’t intend for production chains to be very complex, but I think it’d be neat to grow your own crops, distill it yourself, then prepare it into various drinks at a bar, for instance.

Also, since I like to be transparent as possible, and not because I expect or desire, in the least, pity or sympathy, I didn’t get far these past two weeks on account of having pretty bad pain days. It flares up on occasion and like it or not, it slows me down. It seems to be improving as of today, though.

I think I’ve gotten a handle on how to proceed, so with some luck I’ll have better progress to report next time.